Official Forums for the Ultimate Economy Game

Jump to:  
Search for:
The Simunomics Forums require separate registration from the game itself. However, forums and chat use the same registration.

It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:08 am (All times are UTC [ DST ])

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:30 pm 

User avatarcontroling Inc.

This guide is for new players wondering how to set up their business to grow as quickly as possible.

First thing i suggest is for new players to get as much cash as possible, buy bricks from allmart and sell on the market at cheaper then the least expensive brick (excluding allmart). Invest every penny into this, as someone buys the bricks buy from allmart with the cash you get until allmart "disappears" from your market view.
You will then have a few million to work with.
next i suggest building brick factories and clay extraction sites. bricks are quick, cheap, and easy to produce and give you a very decent return on investment. clay is a little expensive on the market so i suggest extracting your own. water is cheap just buy the cheapest water on the market (Quality does not matter as brick quality have absolutely no use) and extraction tools also Quality does not matter so buy the cheapest on the market.
Many players will buy bricks but also selling on the market will also allow you to sell your bricks.
just keep expanding brick productions with the capital this will allow very quick growth in any city.

so just a quick list
1) Buy bricks from allmart and sell on market for a nice profit
2) After being unable to buy any more from allmarts start planning for brick productions
3) build factories for bricks and clay raw material site.
4) buy water and extraction tools at cheapest price on the market.
5) invest what you have into the brick production to gain quick growth
6) enjoy the profits

(also suggest buying the Purchases and accounts receivable add-ons in the warehouse)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:37 pm 

User avatarGrim Enterprises
Drakar Chamber of Commerce
Having just worked a pretty good part of that strategy, I have to say that it is a goo start-up plan. There are some things to consider, though, and I would modify it like this:
(Note: all the info I put out is based on my own personal experience to date, which isn't very long. The $3million figure for Allmart that I use is what was given me by a mentor. I have no reason to doubt it. It seemed about right, though I got the information late and didn't track it after.)

-Don't spend all your efforts on Allmart bricks that you resell. The fact is you only get a limited supply of Allmart goods to work with as a beginner. Then you are at the mercy of the markets. I incorporated this guide with RV's guide to building a strong company, found in this section, and began building brick factories and bought a clay mine. Three factories and one mine. The total of that was just over a million. This will get you selling bricks of your own making pretty quickly. Most of that was paid for by the profits of just 3000 bricks, bought from Allmart, and sold on the market in Drakar. A total investment of about $300k.
-Buy stores. Unless you are going to be a Building Material Supplier, a noble and lucrative profession to be sure, you are probably going to want stores. So start building them. And not on standard land! Anything but, for my money. If you are thinking long term, might as well save yourself some trouble and at least build on Stripmall sites. If you have the patience and fortitude, go for City Center. But you are only going to get rid of the standards anyway, so why waste the money and time, when things are no longer "free," to do so. Build at least two stores and select products you want to work. (I found PHIL helpful in the beginning, if for no other reason than showing me what is needed in my city. Use it as you will, it is not the definitive word, but it is a nice beginning adviser).
-Fill the stores with the highest QA goods you feel you can afford. Here is where it can get a bit tricky. Remember, you only have about $3million you can spend with Allmart before you are locked out. And you really do have a choice to make here. You can buy your goods from Allmart, and get a reasonable QA for a good price, or you can spend that money on building materials from Allmart, at a very good price, and prepare for the future. Here is the dilemma: If you buy market goods, you will spend more for them, and have to stretch them a little thinner to make your margins. It is ok to buy low-QA goods, they still sell. Hi-QA goods sell for better prices, As long as you can get 2.5x or greater on your cost, you are going to be ok. With Allmart goods you will certainly do better than that.
However, the cost of materials for building is sick. you can pay a couple grand for a pipe, or $15k for a pipe. And you must have pipe to build! You are already making your own bricks at a reasonable clip for your size by now, but you have also used your free materials and have to start paying for wood, glass and pipe. So, do you waste your $3million on bricks, goods or building materials? Ultimately, you will probably do a little of all three. But I strongly urge a new player to consider trying to spend most of it on pipes and some glass. They are going to hit you like a tonne of...well, steel pipe. If you are fortunate enough to have sifted through the dead wood nonsense that is the Trade Group List and found a group you could join that actually has itself together, you may get better prices than the market shows. But don't plan on it. Plan on taking care of yourself.
-Build factories to support your stores. At this point you can begin to follow the Build a Strong Company guide and be just fine. Given that I am seeing people yank about having too much inventory piling up, you may want to amend that accordingly and go with one more store and one less factory per grouping. But I don't have enough of that fleshed out with personal experience yet to have an opinion. I would advise that you only build Resource facilities/Farms for something that you know you are going to use a real lot of. Other wise, buy what you can to make what you need in your factories. Some will caution you against food, citing small margins. I would only point out that you can make a bazillion of them (give or take a gazillion) and sell a heck of a lot more of them per hour too.
-Don't be afraid to contact other companies. Most won't be able/willing to do you much good in transactions early on, but most of them will talk to you and tell you, sparingly, things that can help you. My bet is that smaller companies in your city will be more than willing to form relationships and start favorable trade agreements with you. They are also trying to get it going and need trade partners just like you do. The bigs have already done their spread sheets and locked themselves into a pattern of thinking they will be reluctant to break out of. Not that they don't know what they are doing, they certainly do. But that may not relate to you, as a 1st-5th level company, at all any more. They are busy dog fighting for top honors, market share points and contest places. You are trying to get another $100k/day in income going. They are selling and trading 100k.ft2 buildings and you are trying to start your first expansions. Two totally different worlds. Again, count on yourself first. Take the initiative and make your own luck.

As a last thought, none of these plans is any better than a beginning or final end. Yes, you can make a lot of cash early on just bricks. Yep, that 4-1 factory-to-store ratio with rolling expansions looks pretty good as a final place to be. But it is all subject to change quickly based on regional economic and individual product-based market forces. The current lack of retailers seems to be an issue right now. You will see nearly every big company crying for retailers because they over-built their factories. Eventually this will also change. The best plan for dealing with that is to build a firm foundation, and do as much as you can with your seed money. If you want to be a retailer, buy enough material to build some half dozen stores and spend the rest on stockpiling goods at cheap Allmart prices that you are going to sell for nice margins to get yourself going. If you are building a company of factories, or a mix of both, grab those building materials and get your production engine built and running. you get the idea. I did not do things exactly that way. That is what led to my wanting to write this piece and help fill in the gaps. Some of these details were not at my disposal as I went through getting my first 12 buildings up, and I wish they were.

This is a pretty fun game for me so far. I hope you also find it entertaining. Have fun and good luck. :cool:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:16 am 

User avatarReal Value

I think you should not have as many factories as you have suggested, unless they are making bricks, or steel for pipes and then pipes. You also might want to consider making a small clay mine to produce the clay you use to make bricks. Don't make a big mine, but a mine of 50,000 sq ft is not too bad (that seems like a small mine to me, so anything smaller than tht size is fine, but don't go much larger than that).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:35 am 

User avatarcontroling Inc.

I personally think that new players should focus on either manufacturing or retail. Trying to make everything yourself and then selling causes you to be forced to sell low qa goods. Unless you are a retailer manufacuring building products

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:30 am 

User avatarGrim Enterprises
Drakar Chamber of Commerce
This thread is for beginners, and as one, I can only relate to this through my own experience to date. The idea of talking about a 50k building of any kind to a newbie who is just trying to get their first dozen buildings up and running is kind of a stretch and not really helpful. For now, a single, simple 100ft2 clay mine is taking a week to extract and is more than filling the four 100ft2 brick factories I have running. That is the gist of controlling's brick strategy, and it seems to have lived up to its end of the bargain so far. Bricks are both a steady money maker and a needed supply for continued growth.

I can't disagree with RV in principle, either. I have tried to set up a vertical chain of production that feeds all three of my stores. I produce one commodity(wool) that is used in two of my three finished goods. I am adding a fourth wool item in the next couple of days, with a new store and a new factory to support the item. I have no problem buying high QA corn, textiles and water to give myself some QA. I agree that you can't make everything yourself, regardless of your size, I would think. And the higher QA, even at my level of the high teens and low twenties, is what makes the difference in my opinion, between squeezing out a profit and making a good ROI. I went from barely 50% net profit/store to numbers more like 150% and even 200% while using all my factory production. I make in excess of half a million Bucks a day in just about 5 days. I don't know if that is great, but I can add a building a day at that rate, so in another five days, I will be doubling my net revenue.

I also have a 100ft2 R&D that I am probably going to have to put on hold to expand pretty quickly if it is going to be remotely effective. So far, even with the various guides out there, it is the most baffling building I have dealt with. it is possible, in my mind, that you shouldn't build one until you can build multiple and expand them all right away. I don't know yet.

All things considered, I feel this synergism of the two beginning strategies has been successful for me. With a little work it can be refined by others into a virtual formula that will be erroneous due to market and economic changes by then. :wink: But as a guideline for new players, it will certainly get them up and running and give them a chance to decide if they like the game. That is probably all we can ask.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:11 am 

Gormenghast Inc.
Hi,

I just signed up for the game for the first time and I'm wondering if the approach suggested here still makes sense to do now or if I should follow the initial missions instead.

Thank you,
Steerpike

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:17 am 

User avatarJohns Corporation
Bed Maker
Hi, Message me In Game @ Johns Corporation
I can help you in whatever you need

viewtopic.php?f=12&p=80673#p80673
http://helperstg.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:37 pm 

Gormenghast Inc.
Done, thank you!

It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:08 am (All times are UTC [ DST ])