Official Forums for the Ultimate Economy Game

Jump to:  
Search for:
The Simunomics Forums require separate registration from the game itself. However, forums and chat use the same registration.

It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:04 am (All times are UTC [ DST ])

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:12 am 

User avatarReal Value

Australux wrote:
i have spent alot of cash on large centres and expanding them as fast as i can, usually 30k in three weeks which i think is hex speed i'm not sure.

Yes, 30k in three weeks is six times speed (hex). That is seriously expensive. I have not yet done any expansions of any buildings at faster than 4x speed, except for conversion of factories at 8x speed for an event a while ago.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:41 pm 

User avatarHazzian Products Unlimited
Researcher
*UPDATED THE GUIDE*
Key updates

*added info for Tech incubators
*made it easier to read
*Shorter
*reduced numerical explanations/examples

Please review and tell me what you think, if you like the format i currently have, and what you would like to see more of / less of.

Thanks,
Hazzaah

Make HPU your R&D partner today!
http://forums.simunomics.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6929 <---- Always up to date research listing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:03 pm 

User avatarCumulo's
Double Celebrity
Professor wrote:
Australux wrote:
i have spent alot of cash on large centres and expanding them as fast as i can, usually 30k in three weeks which i think is hex speed i'm not sure.

Yes, 30k in three weeks is six times speed (hex). That is seriously expensive. I have not yet done any expansions of any buildings at faster than 4x speed, except for conversion of factories at 8x speed for an event a while ago.

I don't do any expansion below quad speed (4x) since I'm doing everything in house. With current building size and R&D leverage it would cost me more to have the factory shut down and expanding at lower speed than actually paying to extra premium to get it back up asap so it can make profit again. I usually expand R&D centers at 5-6x depending on economy. As for factories, when Drakar was at -40% I was actually expanding everything at 6x speed.

For example, with current Canjara economy at -23%, I have large factories (300k) expanding at 5x speed. With the actual land slot profit and building cost here is a little example of how much 100 sq ft does actually cost me, key here been lost of revenue of course: (numbers are in millions)

Normal 17.14
Double 8.99
Triple 6.61
Quad 5.74
Quint 5.53
Hex 5.68
Septo 6.06
Octo 6.62

The key here is wether you are doing it in house or have someone else doing it for you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:07 pm 

User avatarVIP Trader
To be fair, the cost of doing research should include "opportunity cost", which means the money you could make but are not making by doing research. If you were to take the same research center, and instead of doing research in it, you just keep expanding it and making it larger and larger until you someday sell it, or sell the research center at the size it is at and buy a store or factory with the same cash, and expand that, you would earn for doing expanding for hire 30 million per day plus 0.65% interest. Thus, this same amount should be applied to the "cost" of doing research in any size research center, as the cost of doing research instead of doing something else with the money and the land slot.

When this cost of having the land used and the cost of interest for capital being used are both applied, I calculate that the optimal size for a research center that gives minimal cost overall is about 40k to 70k sq ft in size. The differences are not large between 40k sq ft and 70k sq ft, but the value of land has to be higher than 30 million per day to make it worth using centers larger than 70k sq ft in size, or less than 30 million per day to make it worth using centers smaller than 40k sq ft in size.

Including opportunity cost, with a reasonable mix of about 130% and a fairly neutral economy, the breakeven point on where research is worth enough to be worth doing as an investment versus doing something else with the land and capital instead is at about 6000 per work hour. If prices are less than that, it is better to buy from someone else instead of creating the research yourself. If prices rise higher than that level, then being in the research business and doing your own research become very worthwhile financially.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:15 pm 

User avatarGrim Enterprises
Drakar Chamber of Commerce
As a newbie, I have to ask: What is the purpose or thought process behind allowing a research to decay? On the surface, it would seem that 100 points (QA?) is 100 points, and the only thing that would change what that is worth is the development of a higher research. What am I missing here in terms of purpose or thought process?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:06 am 

User avatarCumulo's
Double Celebrity
BB Grim wrote:
As a newbie, I have to ask: What is the purpose or thought process behind allowing a research to decay? On the surface, it would seem that 100 points (QA?) is 100 points, and the only thing that would change what that is worth is the development of a higher research. What am I missing here in terms of purpose or thought process?

It used to be that way but that didn't let any late comer enter the business. Let's take water for example, If I own a level 120 research, which will level up forever if it wasn't for quality decay but less and less has higher level become more difficult to reach, it would be virtually impossible for a newbie to ever beat me since it would require perhaps 2-3 times more research power then I do to beat me on the long run.

It was also introduced to avoid large corporation to stock high qa products in warehouse.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:59 am 

Ok. Sounds good to me. :cool:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:13 am 

User avatarReal Value

Research decay has been a very painful change for me and for my son, who had the top research in many products, but I do believe the change has been good for the game. We have learned to adapt, and the game got harder as a result of this change, but it is still a great deal of fun to play and sufficiently challenging to keep both me and my son interested, which is hard to do as there are not a lot of games out there which we both enjoy playing together.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:16 am 

Really? You mean you don't both love vampires, gangsters and general blood lust?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:10 pm 

User avatarReal Value

No, my son likes the Wii, I don't much. I like Simulation and Builder games in general, he does not as much, although he plays some strategy games with me. I will tolerate the Wii sports games and such, but I generally lose at those and don't enjoy them as much. The shoot em up stuff has zero enjoyment factor for me, and is more or less outlawed in our house by my wife, although the kids do sneak in a few of them from time to time on the internet.

It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:04 am (All times are UTC [ DST ])