Official Forums for the Ultimate Economy Game

Jump to:  
Search for:
The Simunomics Forums require separate registration from the game itself. However, forums and chat use the same registration.

It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:57 am (All times are UTC [ DST ])

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:41 pm 

User avatarVaculus
Someone asked me about the best way to expand RD centers, so I decided to make a guide about that. There are three ways to expand your RD centers. Go to your RD center and click on the 5th icon (the one with the wrecker). You will see a table appearing with the following options.

Building Behavior During Construction:
Behavior____________Expansion Speed___Work Speed___Daily Cost___Employees
Normal Expansion____________100%_________none________none________leave
Employee Maintenance________100%_________none______β5,890.40______stay
Work while expanding__________50%_________50%________salary________work

Those options apply to expansion and focus change as well. When you click on an option, a button appears saying "Change Construction". You need to click that button to change the construction behavior of your RD center. These options are unlocked at level 10 - Chief (when you reach 125000 points of score).

NORMAL EXPANSION

Normal expansion will make your RD center expand at full speed, but employees will stop working (your RD center will produce 0 work hours per day) and they will start leaving until expansion ends or until there is none left (make sure that you have cash stored in your RD center, so that they will stop leaving after expansion ends). I wouldn't suggest Normal Expansion because employees will leave and they need time to come back, unless you expand a RD center that is almost empty of employees or unless you make a really quick expansion within some time limits. You will lose 0 workers if the expansion lasts less than 3 hours.

EMPLOYEE MAINTENANCE

Employee maintenance will make your RD center expand at full speed. The employees will stop working (your RD center will produce 0 work hours per day) but they will not leave either. For that you will have to pay them a small fee like salary (maintenance cost). The maintenance cost is 5000 multiplied by the Worker Wages adjustment of the city where your RD center is located. If your RD center runs out of cash employees will start leaving.

WORK WHILE EXPANDING

Work while expanding will make your RD center expand at half speed (expansion will take double time) and make your employees work at half rate the same time (your RD center will produce half work hours per day). You will have to pay your workers full salary, although they work at half rate (be careful to not run out of cash). Also your RD center will gain new employees while expanding, but only if there was space for more employees before the expansion starts (because new ft are added to the building only after the expansion completes). Expanding at half speed means that whatever speed you choose from the construction page (which is the same for all buildings) and whatever cost you pay for the speed, that speed will be halved.

SO WHICH OPTION IS BETTER?

Considering the fact that normal expansion is good only for certain cases, you will have to choose between “employee maintenance” and “work while expanding” for any other case. The difference between them is the cost you will have to pay to keep your employees, while producing the same work hours and expanding by the same amount of ft during a certain period of time. Let’s say that you have X number of identical RD centers (same land, same city, same size, same research mix) and each one has E total employees, S salary, M maintenance cost and you want to expand them for D days. If you choose “work while expanding” you will expand them for D days at half speed, producing half work hours each day and pay full salary. In that case your total cost will be:

Cw=X*D*E*S

If you choose “employee maintenance” you will have to expand them for half days (D/2) at full speed (in order to expand by the same amount of ft) and you will have to expand only half of them (X/2) for D/2 days and when expansion ends you will expand the rest of them for another D/2 days (so that you keep producing the same amount of work hours daily). In that case your cost will be:

Cm=2*((X/2)*(D/2)*E*M+(X/2)*(D/2)*E*S)=>
Cm=X*(D/2)*E*(M+S)

If Cm<Cw then
X*(D/2)*E*(M+S)<X*D*E*S=>
M+S<2*S=>
M<S

This means that when the maintenance cost is lower than the salary then using the “employee maintenance” in the way described above is the cheapest way to expand your RD center. Usually the maintenance cost is much lower than the salary. Newly built RD centers start with a default salary of 7000 bucks, while Woker Wages in all cites move between 70%-110% (so having a maintenance cost higher than 5500 in unlikely). If your RD center has a maintenance cost higher than the salary, then you probably need to raise the salary.

In the above example RD centers were identical for simplicity. But the real case is that you probably have RD centers with different efficiency (therefore they produce different amount of hours per day). In that case, before expanding you need to decide how many work hours in total you want to produce daily (which may be enough to keep your research at the same level, or to allow it increase at a certain rate). For example if you have 5 RD centers and 3 of them make enough work hours daily to cover the desired amount, you should expand the 2 smaller of them under the option “employee maintenance” (every new 100ft add less productivity than the last 100ft until the size of 400,000ft, so it’s better to expand first the smallest building that hasn’t reached 400,000ft yet). Keep in mind that Worker Wages adjustment changes in all cities every day, affecting the productivity of all your buildings. The amount of total work hours per day needed to maintain a certain level of research is (24/7)*(L²-L+0.1) where L is the level of the research (because research declines by 1 point every 7 days).

But even if “employee maintenance” is the cheapest option, it may not always be the most practical option. Using “work while expanding” may be more expensive, but it lets you gain employees while expanding (as long as there was space before the expansion started). So one might prefer to pay some extra cost in order to gain time in hiring. Let's see how much is that cost.

The daily cost for “employee maintenance” is Cw/D=X*E*S
The daily cost for “work while expanding” is Cm/D=(X/2)*E*(M+S)
So, the extra cost per day that you have to pay is (X/2)*E*(M+S)-X*E*S=(X/2)*E*(M-S)

If you have only one RD center focused on a certain line of product, using “work while expanding” is your only option because with “employee maintenance” your research will start declining until the expansion ends (but if for some reason your research is still somewhere close to zero then you shouldn't care). Choosing between those comes when you have 2 or more RD centers focused on the same line of product.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:10 am 

User avatarReal Value

Very nice post. I always enjoy reading these very informative guides from Vaculus. Learning from him has been very helpful to me in learning about the game from the time that I was just a brand new player. It would be wise for everyone to learn from this expert.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:27 am 

User avatarVATSCO International

Professor wrote:
Very nice post. I always enjoy reading these very informative guides from Vaculus. Learning from him has been very helpful to me in learning about the game from the time that I was just a brand new player. It would be wise for everyone to learn from this expert.

+1

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:10 am 

User avatarAlpha Ram Corp.

i agree thank you vaculus
i always am learning from bigger players so thanks to all who have helped alpharam:
johns corp, saltwater, vatsco, professor, hatuey, CDM, vaculus.. and to anyone else!!
also all those who have wrote guides that i have learned from thanks!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:07 pm 

User avatarTeleportboy Inc.
Triple Beverages Champion
Vaculus wrote:
(every new 100ft add less productivity than the last 100ft until the size of 400,000ft, so it’s better to expand first the smallest building that hasn’t reached 400,000ft yet).

Follow up questions:
1. If I read that right, DMR ends at 400,000 ft2?
2. Does this also apply to Factories and Farms?

Edit:
I read the encyclopedia which says

Buildings
As a building needs more employees, it's hard to find the same quality workers. This means that while an expansion always adds capacity to a building it won't add quite as much as previous sections did.
The rule is:

100 - 65,000 ft: each 100 ft2 is 99.7% as effective.
65,100 - 400,000 ft: each 100 ft2 is 99.99% as effective.
400,100+ ft: diminishing returns levels off at 10.18% of the original 100 ft2.

Does this mean that any expansion beyond 400,000 ft2 is 100% efficient?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:39 pm 

User avatarVaculus
teleportboy97 wrote:
Does this mean that any expansion beyond 400,000 ft2 is 100% efficient?

It means that any expansion beyond 400,000ft is as efficient as the 10.18% of the first 100ft of the building. And that applies to all buildings of the game. For example, if you have a factory that makes 100 units of product when its size is 100ft, when that factory reaches 400,000ft every new expansion will add 10.18 units to the production.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:42 pm 

User avatarTeleportboy Inc.
Triple Beverages Champion
My production buildings just hit 400,000 ft2 this week. I guess that means every expansion from now on will yield less than before 400,000 ft2 but constant per 100 ft2 at 10.18% of the value per day listed in PHIL.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:02 pm 

User avatarVaculus
teleportboy97 wrote:
My production buildings just hit 400,000 ft2 this week. I guess that means every expansion from now on will yield less than before 400,000 ft2 but constant per 100 ft2

YES
teleportboy97 wrote:
at 10.18% of the value per day listed in PHIL.

The values listed on PHIL are rounded and do not take into account special lands or special conditions like the city (affected by the Worker Wages adjustment) or the salary (I guess they are OK for default salaries).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:07 pm 

User avatarVaculus
Guide updated. It was focused only on the cost difference between expansion modes.

It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:57 am (All times are UTC [ DST ])