Official Forums for the Ultimate Economy Game

Jump to:  
Search for:
The Simunomics Forums require separate registration from the game itself. However, forums and chat use the same registration.

It is currently Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:26 pm (All times are UTC [ DST ])

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to avoid fraud.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:22 pm 

User avatarVaculus
HOW TO AVOID FRAUD

This is a guide about how to avoid getting tricked when trading and making deals with other players. Many things are obvious for most players, but they could be helpful for new players that are not familiar with some aspects of the game. Some players often try to take advantage of inexperienced players and I hope that this guide will help to reduce those cases.

ACCEPTING INVOICES

When you receive an invoice you should carefully check about the price, the quality and the volume (amount). There are a couple of tricks to make a number look almost like the right one, and yet being false to make you buy items for a different price, quality or amount. Keep in mind that when you buy tickets through invoice you have to accept the whole invoice, you can't buy part of the amount like you do with products. Also quality decays by 0.14 points per day (for products and research), so a small difference in quality could be due to daily decay.

BIDDING ON AUCTIONS

Same for auctions. Before bidding pay attention to starting bid, minimum bid increase and buyout price. The analogy between those three numbers may not always be like you would expect. Keep in mind that when you bid in auctions about products and tickets, the amount of cash you bid is for each product/ticket, not for the whole auction. Also quality still decays for products and research in auction, just like with invoices.

PRODUCT BRANDS

Whether you buy a product in the market or through invoice, you should pay attention to the brand. If the product you buy is brand-locked then you will see a small padlock next to the brand name. You should also check the awareness and reputation of the brand. If you happen to buy another brand by mistake, at least make sure it is as good as the one you wanted to buy.

TRADES AND DEALS

A trade can be simple or complicated, usual or unusual. Knowing the right price for every item in the game is essential. And if you don't know you can always ask, posting questions in the forum is quite simple (viewforum.php?f=9). If you want to make a trade of items, like trading a number of products and tickets for a couple of buildings, you should buy and sell all items at their normal prices if possible. You may have to send and accept multiple invoices if both parties are short on cash, but you better be safe than sorry. Also when you make trades or deals with high risk you should choose your partners carefully. Active players, players with many partners and close friends are less likely to let you down.

IMPERSONATING OTHERS

A player could pretend to be someone else to make you accept an invoice, give false information or make you do something he/she wants. There are a couple of tricks that can make a player's name appear similar, or even identical to another player's name. Also changing the logo and the headquarters colours to match that name is not difficult at all. But, there is something that is unique for every game account and it can never change (unless someone hacks the game database, but if that happens you will have to worry about other things). When you check the headquarters (HQ) page of a company, on the top left corner you will see a number called "Company ID". That number has 4-5 digits and it appears on the link of the HQ page as well. For example, the link for my HQ page is "http://www.simunomics.com/Headquarters.php?Company=1953" and my company ID is 1953. When you receive a message you can click on the link for "headquarters", which is right under the name of the sender, and his/her HQ page will open on a new tab/window. When you receive an invoice, you can copy the link from the "ignore this user" link and check the company ID on that link. For example, when I send an invoice to myself the link says "http://www.simunomics.com/IgnoreProcess.php?Ignoree=1953&Mode=2". If you see a company ID with less than 4 digits then it's always a system company. System companies can not send messages or invoices to players. They are not even real companies, they are just part of the game system and they have been made to look like separate companies just for fun. If a system company sends you a message or invoice then it's not a system company, it is a player who tries to trick you. It is not a developer (administrator) either. When the developers need to contact a player in the game, they always do it through the system. When you receive a message where the sender is "System", and there is no link for headquarters, and there is no option to add a contact or ignore the sender, then you know that you are talking with a developer. There is also a text in red bold letters saying "This is an official message from the Simunomics system".

MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS AND CHATROOM

These days having more than one account is legal, under special requirements. Unless players reveal all their accounts by themselves, there is no way to know if a certain company is a separate player or someone's else account. There is no need to say that you need to be careful about what you say and to who, since any player could be a secret friend/partner of another player and give away any kind of information. What I really need to say is that there are a couple of ways to use the chatroom with 2 (maybe more) accounts at once. Therefore, if you see 2 companies in the chatroom at the same time it doesn't necessarily mean that those accounts are owned by different people, even if they post messages at flashing speed.

Many of the above cases could happen by mistake. Typing errors with numbers are not rare at all. In that case you should ask your partner politely to repeat the trade, meaning to rebuy and resell the items under the proper conditions. All trades in the game are stored and you can check them by clicking the "Accounting" button under the "Office Functions" (http://www.simunomics.com/Accounting-Statements.php). If you meet a player and you are sure that he tries to trick you, you should report him using the report button in the game (http://www.simunomics.com/Feedback.php make sure you are logged in before clicking).

Feel free to send me stories about players who tried to trick someone and I will try to fit them in this guide. Don't post them here, just send me a message. The purpose of this thread is to show people how to avoid get tricked, not the other way around.

Post subject: Re: How to avoid fraud.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:38 am 

User avatarplaytosor

Thank you Vaculus for this very usefull post.

On a general note, never ever take hasty decisions when selling or buying very valuable stuff, always ask for a second or third opinion or you'll end up doing a very very bad deal.
It is often a good idea to make an auction if someone offers you a "great" deal to buy some of your properties : put his price as a starting bid, a sensible minimum bid increase (10%-50% of the starting price!) and a buyout price at least twice as high. See what happens.

When buying properties check auctions to have an idea but never trust honor auctions to value a property and always ask for a second opinion.

Last edited by paichtis on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:56 am 

User avatarHatuey Enterprise

Honor auctions are not a problem.

While honor auction is not system enforced, it is not the end of the world either. In honor auction, if you are selling something, the buyer can still choose not to buy later on, but worst case scenario you will notice a few bidders with interest in your listing. Contact them privately and secure a deal of your liking.

No downsides to honor auction.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:00 am 

User avatarplaytosor

You don't get what I meant Hatuey.
Don't trust prices you see on honor auction to value what you want to buy or sell. Since honor auction are not system enforced, not all of them have sane prices and will really proceed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:08 am 

I pointed out that the advantage of honor auction is to find interested buyers and work a private deal with them. Not to think the buyer will pay as he bid because it is not system enforced.

There is no risk to honor auctions, and while not a clear indicator of market prices or viable prices. It is a great tool for finding interested buyers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:13 am 

User avatarplaytosor

Honor auction are a great tool but how is that related to fraud avoidance ?

Again if you want to avoid paying too much for something or selling your property too cheap don't take the honor auction prices for granted.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:53 am 

User avatarBestProducts

Thanks for the guide Vaculus.

Vaculus wrote:
HOW TO AVOID FRAUD

... Also I believe that quality still decays for products in auction, just like with invoices (I haven't checked myself).

Yes, it does, qa and R&D decay while in auction.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:02 am 

User avatarVaculus
Chus wrote:
Thanks for the guide Vaculus.

Vaculus wrote:
HOW TO AVOID FRAUD

... Also I believe that quality still decays for products in auction, just like with invoices (I haven't checked myself).

Yes, it does, qa and R&D decay while in auction.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Honor auctions are less credible since they are not enforced by the system. But even if some players are willing to pay a certain price for a certain item, through invoice, market or any kind of auctions, it still doesn't mean that everyone should pay that price.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:39 pm 

User avatarVATSCO International

again great work from the great vaculus... thx :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:04 pm 

User avatarVaculus
Updated with a section about multiple accounts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:17 pm 

:grin:

I know who you mean in regards to chatting from 2 accounts. :eyeroll:
He thinks he is smart and clever (He was at first, but got careless lately and messed up twice). But, there are 2 other players who do it too and are far more cautious about it. Shame old decent players act like that.

Can I report alts + main because the player harasses members of my tg? I would like to get his main banned for the instigation of trouble he constantly seeks through his alt. Chat has become somewhat unpleasant when these guys login their alt to disturb chat.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:41 pm 

User avatarVaculus
Hatuey wrote:
:grin:

I know who you mean in regards to chatting from 2 accounts. :eyeroll:
He thinks he is smart and clever (He was at first, but got careless lately and messed up twice). But, there are 2 other players who do it too and are far more cautious about it. Shame old decent players act like that.

Can I report alts + main because the player harasses members of my tg? I would like to get his main banned for the instigation of trouble he constantly seeks through his alt. Chat has become somewhat unpleasant when these guys login their alt to disturb chat.

Once I complained about someone who had been sending me offensive messages. The dev's answer (through feedback) was that they encourage the ignore option for such cases. So, the only thing you can do is to warn your trade group members about the auctions of a certain person and advice them to ignore him. Also I found some kind of bug that lets you use 2 accounts in the chatroom with ease.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:15 pm 

User avatarLake Tanganyika
Triple Soap Adept
Would devs take action against all accounts of a player because they behave inappropriately on one account? And how innapropriate do you get to be before you're worthy of being banned? :P Some dangerous waters we're entering here.

Do you think award trading for payments and the inherent risk with that should be mentioned?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:01 pm 

User avatarVaculus
Tanganyika wrote:
Do you think award trading for payments and the inherent risk with that should be mentioned?

Well yes, but I don't want to post too many details and show to people how to trick others. I tried to cover trades in general at the TRADES AND DEALS section. Anything you would like to add?

It is currently Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:26 pm (All times are UTC [ DST ])