Official Forums for the Ultimate Economy Game

Jump to:  
Search for:
The Simunomics Forums require separate registration from the game itself. However, forums and chat use the same registration.

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:12 am (All times are UTC [ DST ])

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:30 pm 
Developer

User avatarAllmart
System Company
Your suggestions are very important to us. We want to continue growing and expanding, not just with our ideas but with everyones. However, there are a few things you should bear in mind before making your suggestion:

1. Search this forum for your suggestion first. If someone suggested it already, or maybe something similar but different, you should try to add on to that thread before starting another one. This lets us see how slightly different ideas can combine and allows players to brainstorm together. Also it consolidates the reasons for and against the idea for easier reading.
  2. Understand that most ideas get rejected. This is just the nature of design. Many ideas that I have myself eventually have to be shelved or dropped. There are any number of reasons why this might happen.
    • Not a good use of system resources (compared to other things we could do).
    • Not a good use of developer resources (compared to other things we could do).
    • Has a bad effect on casual players (players who don't necessary read the forums and stay informed).
    • Has a bad effect on new players
    • Limits future design
    • Has a bad effect on game profitability. (Yes we need to make a profit to keep this going).
    And several other factors. Note that reasons 3-6 there may be summed up as "goes against our principles," but those principles come from protecting the game's present and future.
  3. Even things that will happen take a long time. Longer than you think. Right now we already have things scheduled into the next year, but even if something became the top priority it still might take weeks or months to do it right. Now there are two ways we can go with this:
    • We speak honestly. I may say "that sounds like a viable idea, we hope to do that soon." People read that, and interpret it as a promise, then get mad when it isn't ready in 3 months. Infinitive laughs at me, and then I learn my lesson and vow never to share what we're planning until it's almost done.
    • We speak honestly and everyone understands that "maybe soon" means 6 months to never.
  4. An idea and a design are not the same thing. You don't have to know designs. Heck, you don't even have to have the idea - just share a problem that needs a solution, and let others take it from there. But please appreciate that suggesting something like "have a stock market" is a lot different from actually designing it. There are many many ways an idea can go - both bad and good, and design isn't done until all the interactions have been considered.

If that doesn't scare you away, then please share. And comment on others' ideas. If you saw something in another game that you'd like us to do, let us know! We do strive to be the best, and that means learning from wherever we can. Just for the initial design of Simunomics we looked at all kinds of existing games - similar and dissimilar, and figured out what we liked or didn't like. We believe that the best results come from putting many heads together.

So thank you in advance for your suggestions!

The Simunomics Team

Last edited by Amarsir on Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:30 pm 
Developer

User avatarAllmart
System Company
<placement saved for possible future use>

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:12 am (All times are UTC [ DST ])