Official Forums for the Ultimate Economy Game

Jump to:  
Search for:
The Simunomics Forums require separate registration from the game itself. However, forums and chat use the same registration.

It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:32 am (All times are UTC [ DST ])

Forum rules

New article? Make a new thread with the Title as the subject. Please use constructive feedback on others articles.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

How do you feel about the city hall regulation?
I support it completely. This will drain excessive cash from the game. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
I support the concept, but I think the regulation is too harsh. 62%  62%  [ 8 ]
I'm not sure what to think yet. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
This is excessive and will harm large companies. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't like it; it's impossible to build the city hall large enough. 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 13
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:00 am 
Interviewer

User avatarFoodaganza! Inc.
Brainstormer
I intend to write an article about what players think of the city hall update with a few interviews and perhaps some analysis. But while I'm waiting on interviews, I thought I'd conduct a poll to help. Feel free to add additional comments, or suggest further options. The final article will be posted here when it's ready.

Devs, is it possible for the old EcoSim Journal Editor's panel to be brought back so I could post it in the game if I get some positive feedback?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:37 pm 
EcoSim Editor

User avatarAindala Holdings
Bottled Water Genius
Yeah, I don't know where the panel has gone. Probably it's still there, but without a link...

Give yourself some exposure for your company!

“If I owe you a pound, I have a problem; but if I owe you a million, the problem is yours.”
J. M. Keynes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:34 pm 
Interviewer

Brainstormer
And here is the article:

On June 26th, the “City Hall Act” took effect across the four cities of Abalesk, Bellerive, Canjara and Drakar. With business booming the government proposed that the many corporations that do business in the four cities help by donating building materials and cash to construct city halls. To add firepower to the proposal, the government mandated that following September 1st, no building could be built larger than the city hall. The mandate has caused significant commotion and discussion between the many companies active in the community. milkco. is here with an interview with Lalo Companies I and CrownX Enterprises to gauge the feelings.

milkco.: What was your first reaction upon hearing about the city hall?

Lalo Companies I: My first reaction upon hearing about city hall was that it was a cash dump, as some would like to call it, a way for the developers to get rid of excess cash in the game. After a few days, it had became one of my goals to be the largest donor because of the idea that I'd have something special that no one else would have.

CrownX Enterprises: My first reaction to the city hall was excitement, followed by surprise at the amount of money required. It doesn't seem like we're hitting the supposed DMR level yet, but it is certainly starting to deplete cash reserves. I know it has depleted mine :).

milkco.: As one of the larger companies in the game, how do you think this change affects your company personally?

Lalo Companies I: Being one of the larger companies, this affects me in a myriad of ways. First, I wont be able to profit as much because I'll be too busy spending in city hall. Aside to that, the fact that no company is allowed to expand above the size of city hall worries me because I'm way passed the size of city hall, and the consequences can be detrimental to my companies.

CrownX Enterprises: It is very likely that I will lose the ability to expand for a very long time. The devs have already commented that they don't feel like cash is being depleted adequately - but in my opinion, this is just because the highest cash players are not active anymore, and earned their money in ways the current game doesn't support now. High cash but inactive players will obviously not donate, because they are not active. Players who are active now don't have the kind of capital required to increase their ability to expand, and getting that kind of capital is unrealistic.

milkco.: Do you think the update is a good idea? Is there anything you'd have done differently?

Lalo Companies I: Until we find out what the largest donor receives, I don't think any judgments should be made about this update. However, I do have a few suggestions for the developers. That would be to have the largest donor be the mayor. In other words, allow them to create new products, new demands, enforce taxes, and control populations to an extent. Now, many wonder why pay to be an official when voting is better. Well, it is obvious that the one with more cash would have more experience, meaning they know the game better than most. Unlike voting, only those who are experienced and familiar with the game is a guaranteed chosen through the largest donor system.

CrownX Enterprises: I think that a different kind of phase in would have been great. Saying "Hey guys, 1.5 months then you can't expand ever again - sorry" is not adequate. The way that it changes the nature of the game is fundamentally unfair. For instance, raw sites, which are typically built at max or near max size, will be no more. Forever. Fundamentally, the price of raw materials is going to increase significantly, because the nature of the game there has changed completely. This, after years of raw sites operating the way they do, is probably not adequate for a 1.5 month notice window.
If the devs choose to reduce effective building sizes when players inevitably fail to meet the goal, then the goal is literally impossible to meet with the new, smaller building sizes. If they choose not to reduce effective building sizes, then large players have no reason to spend money on the city hall, as you can simply store it in bonds, then spend it heavily later when small players have caught the size of the city hall up. Either way, bad situation.

milkco.: Do you have a strategy for tackling this new challenge?

Lalo Companies I: I do have strategies that I will implement to tackle this update, that I have no intention in sharing with others.

CrownX Enterprises: There is no strategy - just put money into it and hope for the best. To be honest, my strategy is let this happen until the devs decide to reset the game, just to balance things out again. When that occurs, then talking about strategy is going to be much more relevant.

milkco.: Moving forward, how do you think the future of Simunomics will be impacted?

Lalo Companies I: Moving forward, the future of Simunomics will be impacted in a plethora of ways. First and foremost, the build kit market will severely drop, and for those who are thinking about investing in kits, good luck. Next, the economy will slowly deflate. Within a week of the update, over 40T has been thrown in for donations, getting rid of excess cash, which is a good sign.

CrownX Enterprises: This depends greatly on the way that the devs decide to implement the 9/1 update. Frankly, if players building sizes are reduced, a great deal of large players will quit, just out of frustration. Raw prices will almost certainly skyrocket, with manufactured goods behaving similarly (as they are based on raw materials).
I think that the idea is decent - get players to cooperate to reduce the amount of money in the system. Having places for cash to go is good. I think that the place where it is misguided is mainly in scaling. The truth is that I am the second largest retailer in the largest city, and my daily income with all buildings running full speed is a little less than 100sqft of city hall expansion at 100k, so probably closer to 20sqft at 1m. I represent 10% of all of the players in the C market - even with everyone retailing at full speed, C can't really expand faster than a few hundred sqft per day once we get to large sizes. This is just stupidly slow - the vast majority of the games cash would be put into expanding cities, especially considering C is by far the best city. Suppose there were 20 times as many people retailing in the game, then the scaling makes a little more sense - although then you run into the problem of who donates to keep everyone else's expansion running.
The scaling is, in my opinion, based on the way that people used to be able to earn money. People can't earn money that way anymore, and therefore the scaling is way off.

As seen by the interviews, there is a lot of uncertainty regarding the new city hall regulation, and many companies look to the future with no small amount of dread. Raw materials giant, The Cleanup Crew, seemed unsure about the future, but lightly optimistic. The CEO commented that,

"While we are still unclear about whether raw sites are exempt from size restrictions we spent some time reevaluating our long term goals and strategies. As such, we have recently acquired properties that our prospectors have guaranteed rich in deposits for years to come."

However, the initial worry and frustration that greeted the announcement doesn’t tell the whole story. Community leader and business conglomerate Airborne Pasta Leviathan announced their intention to donate as much of the company’s assets as possible to the city hall. They acted quickly upon this announcement and that catalyst prompted many other companies to follow suit and prepare to meet the new challenge. A company familiar with the matter said,

"I think as a whole we [the companies of Simunomics] will suck it up and do what we have to for the greater good", but also warned that if buildings have to be reduced, "There will be a lot of fallout".

From Abalesk to Drakar there is grimness but also determination. For the time being, the corporations of Simunomics seem to be gearing up for a long challenge. Many companies believe investment in infrastructure and the city hall regulation are necessary. A poll of corporations found that the majority consider the concept right albeit the regulation is harsh. There is uncertainty about the future but also anticipation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:32 pm 
Interviewer

Brainstormer
To Aindala and other players: Do you think the article is good? Do you notice any errors? Should it be published?

To Devs: Do you think access could be given to the ESJ editor panel again? And if not, could the article be published?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:56 pm 

User avatarIMPOSSIBLE
Abalesk Chamber of Commerce
milkco. wrote:
To Aindala and other players: Do you think the article is good? Do you notice any errors? Should it be published?

To Devs: Do you think access could be given to the ESJ editor panel again? And if not, could the article be published?

It is good :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:47 am 
EcoSim Editor

Bottled Water Genius
milkco. wrote:
On June 26th, the “City Hall Act” took effect across the four cities of Abalesk, Bellerive, Canjara and Drakar. With business booming, the government proposed that the many corporations that do business in the four cities help to construct city halls by donating building materials and cash. To add firepower to the proposal, the government mandated that, following September 1st, no building can [???] be built larger than the city hall. The mandate has caused significant commotion and discussion among the many companies active in the community. milkco. is here with an interview with Lalo Companies I and CrownX Enterprises to gauge the feelings.

milkco.: What was your first reaction upon hearing about the city hall?

Lalo Companies I: My first reaction upon hearing about city hall was that it was a cash dump, as some would like to call it, a way for the developers to get rid of excess cash in the game. After a few days, it had became one of my goals to be the largest donor because of the idea that I'd have something special that no one else would have.

CrownX Enterprises: My first reaction to the city hall was excitement, followed by surprise at the amount of money required. It doesn't seem like we're hitting the supposed DMR level yet, but it is certainly starting to deplete cash reserves. I know it has depleted mine :).

milkco.: As one of the larger companies in the game, how do you think this change affects your company personally?

Lalo Companies I: Being one of the larger companies, this affects me in a myriad of ways. First, I won't be able to profit as much because I'll be too busy spending in city hall. Aside to that, the fact that no company is allowed to expand above the size of city hall worries me because I'm way passed the size of city hall, and the consequences can be detrimental to my companies.

CrownX Enterprises: It is very likely that I will lose the ability to expand for a very long time. The devs have already commented that they don't feel like cash is being depleted adequately - but in my opinion, this is just because the highest cash players are not active anymore, and earned their money in ways the current game doesn't support now. High cash but inactive players will obviously not donate, because they are not active. Players who are active now don't have the kind of capital required to increase their ability to expand, and getting that kind of capital is unrealistic.

milkco.: Do you think the update is a good idea? Is there anything you'd have done differently?

Lalo Companies I: Until we find out what the largest donor receives, I don't think any judgments should be made about this update. However, I do have a few suggestions for the developers. That would be to have the largest donor be the mayor. In other words, allow them to create new products, new demands, enforce taxes, and control populations to an extent. Now, many wonder why pay to be an official when voting is better. Well, it is obvious that the one with more cash would have more experience, meaning they know the game better than most. Unlike voting, only those who are experienced and familiar with the game is a guaranteed chosen through the largest donor system.

CrownX Enterprises: I think that a different kind of phase in would have been great. Saying "Hey guys, 1.5 months then you can't expand ever again - sorry" is not adequate. The way that it changes the nature of the game is fundamentally unfair. For instance, raw sites, which are typically built at max or near max size, will be no more. Forever. Fundamentally, the price of raw materials is going to increase significantly, because the nature of the game there has changed completely. This, after years of raw sites operating the way they do, is probably not adequate for a 1.5 month notice window.
If the devs choose to reduce effective building sizes when players inevitably fail to meet the goal, then the goal is literally impossible to meet with the new, smaller building sizes. If they choose not to reduce effective building sizes, then large players have no reason to spend money on the city hall, as you can simply store it in bonds, then spend it heavily later when small players have caught the size of the city hall up. Either way, bad situation.

milkco.: Do you have a strategy for tackling this new challenge?

Lalo Companies I: I do have strategies that I will implement to tackle this update, that I have no intention in sharing with others.

CrownX Enterprises: There is no strategy - just put money into it and hope for the best. To be honest, my strategy is let this happen until the devs decide to reset the game, just to balance things out again. When that occurs, then talking about strategy is going to be much more relevant.

milkco.: Moving forward, how do you think the future of Simunomics will be impacted?

Lalo Companies I: Moving forward, the future of Simunomics will be impacted in a plethora of ways. First and foremost, the build kit market will severely drop, and for those who are thinking about investing in kits, good luck. Next, the economy will slowly deflate. Within a week of the update, over 40T has been thrown in for donations, getting rid of excess cash, which is a good sign.

CrownX Enterprises: This depends greatly on the way that the devs decide to implement the 9/1 update. Frankly, if players building sizes are reduced, a great deal of large players will quit, just out of frustration. Raw prices will almost certainly skyrocket, with manufactured goods behaving similarly (as they are based on raw materials).
I think that the idea is decent - get players to cooperate to reduce the amount of money in the system. Having places for cash to go is good. I think that the place where it is misguided is mainly in scaling. The truth is that I am the second largest retailer in the largest city, and my daily income with all buildings running full speed is a little less than 100sqft of city hall expansion at 100k, so probably closer to 20sqft at 1m. I represent 10% of all of the players in the C market - even with everyone retailing at full speed, C can't really expand faster than a few hundred sqft per day once we get to large sizes. This is just stupidly slow - the vast majority of the games cash would be put into expanding cities, especially considering C is by far the best city. Suppose there were 20 times as many people retailing in the game, then the scaling makes a little more sense - although then you run into the problem of who donates to keep everyone else's expansion running.
The scaling is, in my opinion, based on the way that people used to be able to earn money. People can't earn money that way anymore, and therefore the scaling is way off.

Like we have seen from the interviews, there is a lot of uncertainty regarding the new city hall regulation, and many companies look to the future with no small amount of dread. Raw materials giant, The Cleanup Crew, seemed unsure about the future, but lightly optimistic. The CEO commented that,

"While we are still unclear about whether raw sites are exempt from size restrictions we spent some time reevaluating our long term goals and strategies. As such, we have recently acquired properties that our prospectors have guaranteed rich in deposits for years to come." [I think we used to have a quote function]

However, the initial worry and frustration that greeted the announcement don’t tell the whole story. Community leader and business conglomerate Airborne Pasta Leviathan announced their intention to donate as much of the company’s assets as possible to the city hall. They acted quickly upon this announcement and that catalyst prompted many other companies to follow suit and prepare to meet the new challenge. A company familiar with the matter said, [who?]

"I think as a whole we [the companies of Simunomics] will suck it up and do what we have to for the greater good", but also warned that if buildings have to be reduced, "there will be a lot of fallout".

From Abalesk to Drakar there is grimness but also determination. For the time being, the corporations of Simunomics seem to be gearing up for a long challenge. Many companies believe investment in infrastructure and the city hall regulation are necessary. A poll of corporations found that the majority consider the concept right but the regulation harsh. There is uncertainty about the future but also anticipation.

“If I owe you a pound, I have a problem; but if I owe you a million, the problem is yours.”
J. M. Keynes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:14 pm 
Interviewer

Brainstormer
Thanks Aindala. I know the forums has one, but I wasn't sure if it was also true for EcoSim Journal. If there is quote formatting, I'd use that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:42 pm 
EcoSim Editor

Bottled Water Genius
milkco. wrote:
Thanks Aindala. I know the forums has one, but I wasn't sure if it was also true for EcoSim Journal. If there is quote formatting, I'd use that.

Oh, I too am not sure if we had one in the editor. I was just noting that if there is, that should be used.

J. M. Keynes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:14 am 

User avatarAlpha Ram Corp.

Hey milkco
Great report :thumbup:
It will be nice if you restart the eco journal

It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:32 am (All times are UTC [ DST ])