Official Forums for the Ultimate Economy Game

Jump to:  
Search for:
The Simunomics Forums require separate registration from the game itself. However, forums and chat use the same registration.

It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:48 am (All times are UTC [ DST ])

Forum rules

New article? Make a new thread with the Title as the subject. Please use constructive feedback on others articles.

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:53 pm 

Emerald City
Simunomics Supporter
Professor wrote:
Ticket prices appear to be rising rapidly with no clear end in sight for the month after month increases in price, but there are some warning signs and dangerous risks coming for speculators that might make ticket prices stabilize (stop increasing) or even crash. First, we all know that some sort of transfer or sales tax is coming for tickets that will replace the current income taxes on ticket sales. We don't know the details of how the tax will be implemented, or what rate ticket sales will be taxed, but it seems likely that there will be higher net taxes due for sales of tickets in the future. Since ticket purchases will no longer reduce taxes, there will not be any incentive to buy tickets to avoid taxes in the future, so demand for ticket purchases might decline as a result.

Right now, buying and then reselling tickets has zero net cost (you even avoid taxes while you are holding onto the tickets), but once the transfer tax is implemented, buying and reselling tickets will have a very real cost and you will have to see prices go up by more than the amount of this transfer or sales tax or you could easily end up losing money via buying and reselling tickets.

As an additional risk, it is worth noticing that more players are buying tickets, and if prices continue to rise, more ticket purchases with cash money are likely from new or existing players, creating an increase in likely ticket supplies at the same time as the transfer tax and loss of tax deductions for tickets will reduce likely future demand for tickets. Some large players have commented that if ticket prices reach 280 million or 300 million in price, the credits cards will come out and tickets will start to be purchased in large numbers, because at those prices, it is just too tempting to sell tickets for increased game cash rather than buy tickets with surplus cash.

Finally, tickets are worth more than they cost to buy in game cash now, but there is a limit to the value of tickets, and at some point, it will no longer be worth upgrading to platinum if ticket prices increase too much. The value of tickets is not unlimited, and at some price, demand will dramatically decline, as players decide not to spend the extra tickets on upgrading from gold to platinum. Thus, it is never safe to assume that increasing prices for tickets have no upper limit and that prices can simply increase forever. They can't and they won't.

This is a pretty funny discussion topic to read now, given the recent ticket prices at 1.8 billion bucks and more in the ticket market. The price level which then was viewed as too high, of 300 million each, seems like an incredible bargain now. The idea that there has to be some point at which tickets are not worth buying is a reasonable argument, but it is obvious that no one really took that 300 million per ticket viewpoint seriously and the actual price at which people will no longer buy tickets is much higher than anyone had even considered possible a few months ago.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:58 pm 

User avatarGold Star Assets
Corporate Yacht (40 ft)
CynthiaM wrote:

This is a pretty funny discussion topic to read now, given the recent ticket prices at 1.8 billion bucks and more in the ticket market. The price level which then was viewed as too high, of 300 million each, seems like an incredible bargain now. The idea that there has to be some point at which tickets are not worth buying is a reasonable argument, but it is obvious that no one really took that 300 million per ticket viewpoint seriously and the actual price at which people will no longer buy tickets is much higher than anyone had even considered possible a few months ago.

It is rather funny now except when it comes to actually buying tickets. :panic: I don't think anyone really guessed about tickets prices very well during the 2 years I've been playing. It's gone from about :beta: 20,000,000 to over :beta: 1,000,000,000 where it is now. My guess, :doh:...is that tickets will stay around :beta: 1 billion for a while. There is a point where premium accounts can't be self-sustained, but I think that will cause product price inflation within the game. It has been the updates that caused most of increases in ticket prices, and since there are more updates in the future it is tough to guess in the long term. I don't think will we see an update like the one last year which caused tickets prices to rise rapidly over 10 times their previous cost.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:41 pm 

User avatarFive Enterprizes
Electronics Adept
Jimmi wrote:
There is a point where premium accounts can't be self-sustained,.

Although, we though they couldnt be self sustained at $1bil, but inflamation pushed things up. Remember when water was between $0.07-$0.09 ? It even went down to $0.06

Thar toinn do rainig chugainn,
Fe mhoid bheith saor.
Sean tir ar sinsir feasta
Ni fhagfar fe'n tioran na fe'n trail
Anocht a theam sa bhearna bhaoil,
Le gean ar Ghaeil chun bais no saoil
Le guna screach fe lamhach na bpilear
Seo libh canaidh Amhran na bhFiann.

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today.

Five Enterprizes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:17 pm 

User avatarReal Value

There is a limit to how high prices can go in the upward direction. Stores are not more profitable than they were six months ago, and that is going to put pressure on retailers not to pay much more to buy products.

For example, Vaculus used to offer some very large premiums over IMU prices to buy products, but the premiums he is offering now are not nearly as high as they were in the past. I suspect prices will go up some, especially for bricks and low QA glass, which don't get much benefit from research in improving their selling margins and profits, but I doubt we are going to see any huge wholesale price increases in products that are sold in stores.

I think raw materials prices probably do need to go up some, but I have always thought IMU's current prices for farm products and raw materials were low, and have never accepted their prices even as they are now for those products. For factory products, some changes are needed, and prices will probably need to increase some, but I doubt it will be enough to justify paying more than 1 billion per ticket to upgrade to platinum.

I am seriously wondering how anyone can justify upgrading to platinum when ticket prices are as high as they are now. I just can't see these prices, of close to 2 billion per ticket now, as being sustainable. The profits per land slot just are not there to make it worth upgrading when tickets are that expensive to buy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:04 pm 

User avatarFive Enterprizes
Electronics Adept
Professor wrote:
There is a limit to how high prices can go in the upward direction. Stores are not more profitable than they were six months ago, and that is going to put pressure on retailers not to pay much more to buy products.

For example, Vaculus used to offer some very large premiums over IMU prices to buy products, but the premiums he is offering now are not nearly as high as they were in the past. I suspect prices will go up some, especially for bricks and low QA glass, which don't get much benefit from research in improving their selling margins and profits, but I doubt we are going to see any huge wholesale price increases in products that are sold in stores.

I think raw materials prices probably do need to go up some, but I have always thought IMU's current prices for farm products and raw materials were low, and have never accepted their prices even as they are now for those products. For factory products, some changes are needed, and prices will probably need to increase some, but I doubt it will be enough to justify paying more than 1 billion per ticket to upgrade to platinum.

I am seriously wondering how anyone can justify upgrading to platinum when ticket prices are as high as they are now. I just can't see these prices, of close to 2 billion per ticket now, as being sustainable. The profits per land slot just are not there to make it worth upgrading when tickets are that expensive to buy.

The problem is, the big players have gotten a bit too big

Thar toinn do rainig chugainn,
Fe mhoid bheith saor.
Sean tir ar sinsir feasta
Ni fhagfar fe'n tioran na fe'n trail
Anocht a theam sa bhearna bhaoil,
Le gean ar Ghaeil chun bais no saoil
Le guna screach fe lamhach na bpilear
Seo libh canaidh Amhran na bhFiann.

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today.

Five Enterprizes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:01 am 

Corporate Yacht (40 ft)
Professor wrote:

I won't mind buying tickets from the system now and then to supplement keeping my accounts at platinum. For myself it isn't always about whether I get a "free" game or not. I've actually gotten my companies growth greater and faster than I thought possible over one year ago. If I consider how much I've spent in real life money in two years of playing Simunomics it is a great value, as far as I'm concerned, for the "entertainment" expense category. And not only is an online business simulation video game rather harmless compared to some other forms of entertainment, it may actually be educational! Entertainment that may help...amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:04 am 

User avatarLake Tanganyika
Triple Soap Adept
All I know is, I doubled my company's value with $5USD. I'm ok with rich players giving me hoards of money.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:09 pm 

Corporate Yacht (40 ft)
Tanganyika wrote:
All I know is, I doubled my company's value with $5USD. I'm ok with rich players giving me hoards of money.

Ya, to sell 25 tickets and get over 25 billion in Simunomics game cash (Bucks) will jumpstart any new company. With the player whose company was AABBCC selling all his buildings on auction for low starting bids now is a very good time to buy factories. If I had more empty slots I would bid on them.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:39 am 

Usa Product
Benix wrote:
Professor wrote:

The problem is, the big players have gotten a bit too big

You mean, the Big player have gotten too big. He is larger than everyplayer in the game combined. His life was about profit, now its about dirty ticket deals under the table. No wonder he appraised tickets to be worth 900m. I bet that appraisal moved a lot of hands to tickets. Considering they were 500m when he said that. Warning, professor has an agenda. Any one who gets in his way will be suffocated with his massive ticket stacks.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:47 am 

User avatarReal Value

USA Product. wrote:
Warning, professor has an agenda. Any one who gets in his way will be suffocated with his massive ticket stacks.

Nope. I don't have massive ticket stacks. I sold all my tickets a few months ago before pushing up SIR to very high levels, as I wanted to have the cash to be able to buy bonds when interest rates were very high. Quadrupling my cash seemed to be a good idea to do and a smart move to sell off tickets and then buy them back later, if needed, once a lot of cash had been earned from interest.

It did not occur to me at that time that I might lose 90% or more of the income from interest via a special tax, and that tickets would triple in price, so in hindsight, it would have been smarter to keep the tickets and horde them instead of selling them to get cash.

As for massive ticket stacks, USA Products has stated in the past that he has massive horded piles of tickets saved up, but it is not clear how many he really has. Perhaps his view of what makes up a big pile is similar to my view of what is a small reserve inventory, so it is not clear how many we each have by comparison, but I would guess that USA Products has a lot more tickets than I do now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:08 pm 

Usa Product
Look at the prices now, that ticket tax didn't do much. All it really did is raise the prices to compensate for the tax. Plus you can't get stable with big changes, RD centers and building kits. Prices will of course remain high, because who wants to get less for their money?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:54 pm 

User avatarMax Gear.

I want to return to these old good days!I remember tickets sold for 300m on the market and we thought they were overprised.If anyone wants to return us there please sell your tickets for 300m on the market :grin:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:11 pm 

Triple Soap Adept
If someone sells tickets at 300m on the market, i can guarantee you that I will buy the first 400 of them, and someone richer than me will buy the remaining X of them. Unless there are billions of tickets at 300m each, they will vanish in an instant.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:32 pm 

User avatarcontroling Inc.

Tanganyika wrote:
If someone sells tickets at 300m on the market, i can guarantee you that I will buy the first 400 of them, and someone richer than me will buy the remaining X of them. Unless there are billions of tickets at 300m each, they will vanish in an instant.

agreed, what needs to happen to bring the ticket prices down is a mass wave of selling and a competitive market which would bring ticket prices down slowly but no where near 300 million.
with a heavy competitive market (say from newer players trying to get a head start and selling bulk) i believe the prices for tickets could lower to 5 billion, but not much more than that anytime soon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:36 pm 

Triple Soap Adept
Unfortunately, I'm unemployed so I can't buy squat :p But yes, that would help.

It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:48 am (All times are UTC [ DST ])