Official Forums for the Ultimate Economy Game

Jump to:  
Search for:
The Simunomics Forums require separate registration from the game itself. However, forums and chat use the same registration.

It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:13 am (All times are UTC [ DST ])

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:17 am 

User avatarRonak Holdings I

ABALESK

Eclecticity Consulting, SSC
Abalesk Report: Executive Summary
Population advice: People want good wages and lots of products at low prices. Anything to improve those attributes will help.

Retail spending advice: Salaries are a little low. Higher pay would encourage citizes to spend.

BELLERIVE

Bellerive Report: Executive Summary
Population advice: The Cost of Living is holding back growth. Lower retail prices would attract more people.

Retail spending advice: The city needs more jobs. Idle or constructing buildings don't keep citizens employed.

CANJARA

Canjara Report: Executive Summary
Population advice: People want good wages and lots of products at low prices. Anything to improve those attributes will help.

Retail spending advice: Salaries are a little low. Higher pay would encourage citizes to spend.

DRAKAR

Drakar Report: Executive Summary
Population advice: The best thing to grow the population is to increase Consumer Satisfaction. Do this by keeping people well supplied with a great variety of retail products.

Retail spending advice: The city needs more jobs. Idle or constructing buildings don't keep citizens employed.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How are you supposed to be alive?

Higher wages are being demanded, with lower priced goods.

Now it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that higher wages, never ever result in lower priced goods, unless there's a China or Bangladesh or Vietnam in the world.

Now, you ask to price goods a bit lower, and at the same time, have jobs that are more rewarding than before.

It is like holding a double edged sword.

And the Third Yahtzee is that we don't even have a handle to hold the sword. Which basically will result in bleeding whatever way you try to perceive things.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/e3e4cc9b-e ... f1c711ad08

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:59 pm 

User avatarSource One
Grocery Expert
Negative much? :meh:

What people consider to be "low" or "acceptable" prices has and always will be relative to the amount of money they have to spend. You can't fool yourself into thinking the citizens of simunomics will act the same way people do in real life. In real life, 50 bucks is a lot for a cheeseburger. I'm going to feel that way whether I make 50k per year or 100k, simply because I know 50 bucks is an outrageous price. But that kind of AI can't be built into this game, otherwise we would have collectively crashed the economy a long long time ago. In a game like this, as well as it as done, will always be ruled by the formulas used to calculate the stats we use to try to run our companies by.

In this game, there will always be ways to stretch the limits of what makes sense for a typical consumer. Let's say there is 3 mil demand of Flour that I want to fill. I can use a 1M ft store and put a Million in each slot, set it to sell for 24 hours and let the system generate a price, easy enough (many people mistakenly consider this as "letting the public choose the price")......OR maybe i decide to use 2-500k stores and filling each slot with 500k Flour, again letting the system generate a price. We all know what happens next, those 500k stores are going to generate a price more than double what the 1M store did. So what's going to happen? Assuming the demand is there, as stated already, the public will still buy up all 3 mil of the Flour, paying double what they could have, because they don't know any better.

The difference these two scenarios will have on the city stats is that consumer satisfaction and cost of living will be hurt by the second scenario, therefore hurting population growth. Our customers' habits don't change, and the formulas used to report on the economy doesn't change either. So since population has grown before, it can grow again. All it takes is enough companies in a given city to operate in a responsible and reasonable way. One that can be profited from, while still promoting growth. It's actually not that hard to achieve, unless of course a company wants to try to operate on a ridiculous margin, which plagues this game in my opinion, simply because the second option listed above is and will always be an option.

Instead of focusing on the somewhat contradictory language in the Economic Report, just accept the fact that Consumer satisfaction and cost of living index can be improved by EITHER lower prices OR higher wages. It doesn't have to be both at the same time.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:15 am 

joker20008
Well said dean, these tips are meant to help guide and not an absolute. They don't give up the 'secret sauce'. In fact they are a bit contradicting when comparing stats between cities and then reading what would help a specific city. There are larger forces at work.
That being said...if everyone moved just 5% in the specific direction of these suggestions there would be noticable positive results.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:06 am 

deanthemachine wrote:

What people consider to be "low" or "acceptable" prices has and always will be relative to the amount of money they have to spend. You can't fool yourself into thinking the citizens of simunomics will act the same way people do in real life. In real life, 50 bucks is a lot for a cheeseburger. I'm going to feel that way whether I make 50k per year or 100k, simply because I know 50 bucks is an outrageous price. But that kind of AI can't be built into this game, otherwise we would have collectively crashed the economy a long long time ago. In a game like this, as well as it as done, will always be ruled by the formulas used to calculate the stats we use to try to run our companies by.

In this game, there will always be ways to stretch the limits of what makes sense for a typical consumer. Let's say there is 3 mil demand of Flour that I want to fill. I can use a 1M ft store and put a Million in each slot, set it to sell for 24 hours and let the system generate a price, easy enough (many people mistakenly consider this as "letting the public choose the price")......OR maybe i decide to use 2-500k stores and filling each slot with 500k Flour, again letting the system generate a price. We all know what happens next, those 500k stores are going to generate a price more than double what the 1M store did. So what's going to happen? Assuming the demand is there, as stated already, the public will still buy up all 3 mil of the Flour, paying double what they could have, because they don't know any better.

The difference these two scenarios will have on the city stats is that consumer satisfaction and cost of living will be hurt by the second scenario, therefore hurting population growth. Our customers' habits don't change, and the formulas used to report on the economy doesn't change either. So since population has grown before, it can grow again. All it takes is enough companies in a given city to operate in a responsible and reasonable way. One that can be profited from, while still promoting growth. It's actually not that hard to achieve, unless of course a company wants to try to operate on a ridiculous margin, which plagues this game in my opinion, simply because the second option listed above is and will always be an option.

Instead of focusing on the somewhat contradictory language in the Economic Report, just accept the fact that Consumer satisfaction and cost of living index can be improved by EITHER lower prices OR higher wages. It doesn't have to be both at the same time.

So, how do you propose we start selling? What is the right price for a certain product to be sold in retail, so that the formula will recognise it as cheap? What wage should be appropriate that the system decides it is high?

Set the price/quantity, price/time, time/quantity?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:07 am 

deanthemachine wrote:

So, how do you propose we start selling? What is the right price for a certain product to be sold in retail, so that the formula will recognise it as cheap? What wage should be appropriate that the system decides it is high?

Set the price/quantity, price/time, time/quantity?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:31 pm 
Developer

User avatarAllmart
System Company
The report is there to give guidance about how to achieve certain things relative to where they are now. There's not a magic trigger you have to hit. Any improvement in a chosen cause will lead to improvement in the effect.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:35 pm 

The Glass Co.
I am not in the retail sector but I have noticed taht some goods are EXHORBITENTLY overpriced... some people are just hoarding like F$%^&ing crazy....

I make glass... it costs me :beta: 130 to make it... I sell it for 300-500, thats about tripple the cost... others are buing up my market inventory and reselling it for 600+++ when I started glass was 1200 for qa of 0

Steel = my cost = :beta: 156 lowest market price = 1200 (me) average market price = 2500 (I know there is some for 1500 there but not a whole lot and not a stable supply) how can someone justify a 1000% markup on something that is an intermediate good that other need to make other goods from?

the raw materials are overprices... the retail goods costs are overpriced... and there are monopolies... so those people can charge 100x the base price.

Yah I think the economy is running loose (but similar to real world and what happens to costs of comodities in countries with embargo (Venezual is a good closed economy example), costs of basic goods can skyrocket 10x - 100x)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:59 pm 

joker20008
theglassco wrote:
I am not in the retail sector but I have noticed taht some goods are EXHORBITENTLY overpriced... some people are just hoarding like F$%^&ing crazy....

I make glass... it costs me :beta: 130 to make it... I sell it for 300-500, thats about tripple the cost... others are buing up my market inventory and reselling it for 600+++ when I started glass was 1200 for qa of 0

Steel = my cost = :beta: 156 lowest market price = 1200 (me) average market price = 2500 (I know there is some for 1500 there but not a whole lot and not a stable supply) how can someone justify a 1000% markup on something that is an intermediate good that other need to make other goods from?

the raw materials are overprices... the retail goods costs are overpriced... and there are monopolies... so those people can charge 100x the base price.

Yah I think the economy is running loose (but similar to real world and what happens to costs of comodities in countries with embargo (Venezual is a good closed economy example), costs of basic goods can skyrocket 10x - 100x)

While I agree with a few of your points, you are overlooking a lot of variables. Diminishing returns and how vertically set up you are to name a couple.

It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:13 am (All times are UTC [ DST ])