Official Forums for the Ultimate Economy Game

Jump to:  
Search for:
The Simunomics Forums require separate registration from the game itself. However, forums and chat use the same registration.

It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:29 am (All times are UTC [ DST ])

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Expansion for hire
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:26 am 
Developer

User avatarAllmart
System Company
Quote:
Its a great shame that no truly new player will ever grow from expanding a larger players buildings again.

Not that I disagree, it has to be done. It just means that, because the 'fair value' of a huge building (800kft2+) is more than the 'fair value' of a new player's whole company, if they are a few months old, these expansions won't be happening anymore. It wasn't nearly as much of an issue when tickets sold for 30m and the largest buildings were 100kft2. The whole spectrum was just closer to the bottom back then.

The problem with the existing method, aside from the fact that it involves untraceable unenforceable cash transfers, is that it's kind of lousy for the small company. They get their slots filed with a building that isn't doing anything, it wasn't even their choice whether or not to expand it, and as a small company they don't have a lot of alternative buildings to keep interested. This makes it very popular with second companies OR makes a new company do that with their main and then want a second company.

What I need is an idea for some sort of "play", some activity that's interesting and involves a few decisions for the construction company. On top of that, we need some protection for the client so they're protected if the construction company goes away. And ideally we tie it all together with a top-down business concept.

My concept at this point goes something like this:
1) Builder buys a special land slot, a "shell" slot.
2) By default a "shell" slot can handle expansion at speed 1, but it can be upgraded to handle higher speeds. (There's no level restriction on what a shell slot can handle, but some action / cost is required.)
3) Shell slots need to be pre-prepped for X days, using some action/cost TBD.
4) Once prepped for X days, it's listed with a rental price.
5) Anyone with a building can shift it into a shell slot where X is greater than the expansion time left, by paying the rental price. This way it stays their building and they are the only one who can control it. However, it will take up the builder's land slot and free up one for the owner. They can then take it back at any time provided they have a free slot.

Good:
1) Building owner is protected and maintains control
2) Owner takes responsibility for the expansion and doesn't need to transfer any build kits.
3) Profit built in
4) Builders can differentiate with their own prices. We'd probably auto-match with the lowest price that meets the requirements.

Bad:
1) There's still no actual activity while the construction is underway, but there's at least a little prep work involved.
2) The level 1 company still won't be doing expansion at tier 8 for people, but they can build up to that. You guys will have to work that out. (This may not be bad.)

Ugly:
1) I don't know what happens if the owner never logs back in to take it.
2) I'm not sure how to handle the accounting.
3) I don't know if we should transfer the rental price up front or do it over time. (Or how we'd do it if the latter.)
4) Still not sure exactly how the "some activity / cost" will shake out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:03 am 

The Network
@Amarsir.
The solutions you have given using shell slots are brilliant.
I'd like to add a few more improvements.
Players must get a "builder" license and submit a form telling what speed/speeds they're gonna use.
Only those with a license can buy shell slots.
Also shell slots shouldn't be limited to premium players. Since smaller ones usually standard carry out much of expansion works.
The shell slots must be accessible to builder as well as the person whose building is being made.
Also provisions be made that a builder gets a minimum of expenses before starting a project which doesn't result in the builder making the loses if the customer decides half way that he doesn't want the building now.
A minimum base fees must be implemented.
Also the builder must send the building bacl for the remaining amount of his fees so that the customer doesn't get cheated.
For multiple rounds of expansions once a round is completed the building can be traded at builders remaining price and returned back at system price.

What about introducing work while expanding option for other buildings as well as in rnd? Ofc with a reduced efficiency%. Thus the slots will have activity while in expansion. The reason for the slots to be accessible to both the customer and builder was nased upon this idea.

All are invited to find flaws and correct them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:21 pm 

User avatarDark Horizons

One way to encourage a minimal level of activity is just dont allow expansions for longer than 1 week at a time.

Better Yet, dont shut down the building just because its expanding. When Wallmart, Meyers, Krogers or any other store expands in real life less than 10% of the store is restricted due to construction. They dont shut down. They dont even operate at 50% efficiency penalty. They lose some floor space (1 retail slot?) and everything that is there works full speed.

Switching product focus is also an action that currently only restricts the time a player can actually play. Unless a building is being sold to a new company there is no reason to not use the exact same counters and shelves to sell the new products. The absolute largest retailers can easily swap out their entire store contents in 1-2 weeks. Why is it different here? When a building IS sold to a new company the construction time isnt even about product focus change. Its about making the style of the building match the companies 'theme'.

Im not saying any of the current design choices are bad ones. They work in a web game because a player can just log in for a few minutes at a time when they want. But some of the current design decisions are counter productive to trying to avoid 'set and forget' play styles.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:51 am 

User avatarHatuey Enterprise

Anyone looking to take over expansion business?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:21 pm 

User avatarRonak Holdings I

Are the devs still working on suggestions in this thread? Have you guys reached any decision about the matter?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:58 pm 

UA Holdings
I'm open to becoming a new expander for hire but with recent economic events I'm not sure there's any demand. Would shell slots be owned by an allmart company then leased to an expander for hire so if the expander doesn't log on again the company that hired them can get their building back? Would the company hiring an expansion have pay upfront or pay a deposit or would builders be able to get a builder's loan? Sorry if these questions have already been answered.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:32 am 

sync
hi sir
nice move :thumbup: :thumbup:

It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:29 am (All times are UTC [ DST ])