Official Forums for the Ultimate Economy Game

Jump to:  
Search for:
The Simunomics Forums require separate registration from the game itself. However, forums and chat use the same registration.

It is currently Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:32 pm (All times are UTC [ DST ])

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Population Effects
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:24 pm 
Interviewer

User avatarFoodaganza! Inc.
Brainstormer
Code:
Region   Population      Retail Spending       Worker Wages             Construction Costs   Property Tax Rate
Abalesk   62,475,640    Weak (-1)       Average                     Average                   3.0%
Bellerive   55,539,182      Depressed (-3)       Booming (+3)           Weak (-1)                   3.0%
Canjara   619,923,256   Impressive (+2)   Average                   Average                   3.0%
Drakar   58,715,550      Weak (-1)       Impressive (+2)     Average                   3.0%

Those of course are the population statistics for the four cities. Now in real life, city population has enormous far reaching effects on every aspect of the economy, but in Simunomics I'm sure not all of those are possible or profitable to simulate.
So how does population effect the city economies, and how do the economies effect the population?

Canjara grows by about 8 million people per day. Is that an endless growth rate that will continue to increase as the population increases or is it tied to economic factors?

Now I would imagine that higher worker wages means you have to pay employees more to achieve the same amount of efficiency. And I presume that a higher population means a greater market for retail goods, but of course with Canjara having 10x the population of everyone else, that would be too much of a difference for anyone to ever want to retail in any other city.

Do higher worker wages correspond to higher retail spending? Well it doesn't seem to, but there are probably other factors at play.

And I'm not asking for a specific formula to give it all away, but if anyone has any theories or solid observations, speak up :grin:

Post subject: Re: Population Effects
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:26 pm 

User avatarCrownX Enterprises

You have touched on a very, very complicated question, best I can tell.

I've done some research to figure out how all of these statistics relate, and I believe there are some relatively complicated equations binding everything together.

1. Population seems to increase primarily as a function of Allmarts marketshare in retail.
2. Retail spending seems to decrease as a function of Allmart's marketshare in retail, and also increase as a function of cost of living index for the city. Ie. the more players in an economy generates higher retail spending, and if they sell their goods for less, then that reduces cost of living, which increases retail spending.
3. Property tax is new, I believe the devs just set it, and it is arbitrary.
4. Worker wages seem to be a function of the average wage in a city, but I don't know how they correlate.
5. Construction cost seems to have some relation to the amount of buildings currently expanding, but it is also hard to pin down.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:52 pm 
Interviewer

Brainstormer
CrownX wrote:
You have touched on a very, very complicated question, best I can tell.

I've done some research to figure out how all of these statistics relate, and I believe there are some relatively complicated equations binding everything together.

1. Population seems to increase primarily as a function of Allmarts marketshare in retail.
2. Retail spending seems to decrease as a function of Allmart's marketshare in retail, and also increase as a function of cost of living index for the city. Ie. the more players in an economy generates higher retail spending, and if they sell their goods for less, then that reduces cost of living, which increases retail spending.
4. Worker wages seem to be a function of the average wage in a city, but I don't know how they correlate.
5. Construction cost seems to have some relation to the amount of buildings currently expanding, but it is also hard to pin down.

1. Are you suggesting that the more Allmart sells in a city, the higher the population? Or the other way around?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:14 am 

joker20008
The other way around in my experience.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:41 pm 

Yeah, Allmart selling a higher percentage of goods reduces the city population.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:57 pm 
Developer

User avatarAllmart
System Company
Quote:

It's not arbitrary. :wink: Very very little in the game is truly random. Much more fun to trigger it off player choices without telling them which choices are doing it. :P

The most I will say is that there's a secret statistic we call the "Wealth Gap" and it has a major effect on the tax rate. And while you're free to guess how the Wealth Gap is calculated, it's probably not what you think.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:03 pm 

Amarsir wrote:
The most I will say is that there's a secret statistic we call the "Wealth Gap" and it has a major effect on the tax rate. And while you're free to guess how the Wealth Gap is calculated, it's probably not what you think.

Man, to see the underlying codebase of this game. I would learn a hell of a lot I'm thinking :smile:.

(PS: If you ever need help programming something, I am a firmware engineer IRL :cool: )

So, either gap between how rich players are, or how rich civilians are, or something related to overall retail pricing.

I assumed it was arbitrary because all of the values are the same. Does it only change one time per month?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:45 pm 
Developer

User avatarCommit to Excellence
Bellerive Chamber of Commerce
CrownX wrote:
I assumed it was arbitrary because all of the values are the same. Does it only change one time per month?

Yes, when the tax bill goes out for the prior month the rate is calculated for the next one.

Please read the rules. Have information? Why not write a guide?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:41 pm 
Developer

User avatarAllmart
System Company
I believe all 4 cities happened to get the same rate because they were all affected by the same meta choices by players. It's most visible on the Cost of Living graphs, which took a quick spike at the beginning of June and then dropped very low. Other statistics were likewise similar.

So if the cities do the same thing they'll get the same result. If they vary, different.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:06 pm 
Interviewer

Brainstormer
"Wealth Gap" makers me think of CEOs. I don't suppose this could be factored in later on, because if I'm not mistaken, Amarsir has been brainstorming for quite some time on how to best implement CEOs in the game. :P

It is currently Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:32 pm (All times are UTC [ DST ])