Official Forums for the Ultimate Economy Game

Jump to:  
Search for:
The Simunomics Forums require separate registration from the game itself. However, forums and chat use the same registration.

It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:19 pm (All times are UTC [ DST ])

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:33 am 
Developer

User avatarCommit to Excellence
Bellerive Chamber of Commerce
You can have your very own Corporate Logo displayed on this site using the forum's Avatar function!

This thread will serve as instructions for creating and uploading avatars, as well as a place to ask questions, show your design, ask for help, give guidance, etc. If someone has a specific technique they want to share then they might be interested in making a guide. Otherwise we encourage anyone to ask for help with creating their Corporate Logo if need be, and everyone else to give polite, constructive feedback whenever it's requested.

How do I use an Avatar?
  1. At the top of the page click the button for "User Profile".
  2. In the "Options" box on the left, click the second section "Profile".
  3. Under Profile click "Edit Avatar"
  4. You are able to pick one of these options:
    A) Upload from your computer and store the image on this site (good if you don't have an external image host)
    B) Link to another location and have this site copy and store (good if created by a web tool or found somewhere else)
    C) Link to another location and always display from there (good if you think the image will change or if it exceeds our file size of 25kB).
  5. You may enter the dimensions if you wish (which gives the potential to resize or stretch the image) but that shouldn't be necessary. Just leave dimensions at 0 and the site will determine automatically.

What are the restrictions on forum avatars?
  • Nothing offensive, obviously.
  • We strongly prefer that it be a corporate logo, not some other type of personal avatar. This won't be enforced as long as no other rules are broken, but we want this avatar to represent your company and not just be some random image from other boards.
  • Minimum size: 40px wide by 20px high
  • Maximum size: 125px wide by 125px high
  • Maximum storage: 25kB. (If your image exceeds this, you may link to an external site or ask for permission to upload.)
  • .jpg or .gif format only
  • No animated images. (They probably wouldn't fit under the size limit anyway.)

Will this image be displayed in game?
Not yet.

What is a "corporate logo"?
A corporate logo is just a simple representation of your company. It's not an ad or a list of everything you do. It's not a banner. It's an image you would use as part of an ad or a banner: the simplest graphic representation possible. Here are some real-world examples:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Notice that none are cluttered up with slogans or photos, most just use a white background, and in some cases it's nothing more than the name in a special color/font. Nike and Apple don't even bother with their names. You can be more intricate if you want. Just don't feel like you have to.

How do I make one?
There are any number of graphics programs that can do the job. Even something as simple as Microsoft Paint can produce nice images with a little work. We're not graphics experts ourselves but here are some tips:
Mechanics:
  • We recommend that you start with a larger image. The maximum size here is 125 x 125, so 1000 x 1000 would be reasonable (and is exactly 8x the size for easy scaling). Then shrink it as the last step just before saving. (Save a larger image under another name for editing later.) By doing so the program will be able to scale pixel colors to give the illusion of details and avoid looking "blocky".
  • Avoid thin lines. They won't show up well when the image is shrunk, and often end up looking shaky.
  • Avoid freeform unless you're really good at it. Use text insertion or straight-line tools to ensure a clean image.
Ideas:
  • Ask yourself "What's the simplest way to give the idea of my company?" Honda has their hood ornament. Nike's swoosh indicates speed. Google's multicolor suggests a variety of results to searches. Microsoft's is a 4-paned window. Take a moment for inspiration.
  • Abstract ideas work fine. You don't need something that people would guess is your company. You could use anything and once people see you using it they'll know it's your company. This image was just a recolored coffee ring:
    but for 10 years it was recognized in the communications industry as the symbol of Lucent Technology.
  • When in doubt, use your company name with an interesting font and one or two colors. A simple image can be jazzed up later, but if you're too complicated the fix might not be simple.
  • If you need help here please ask. If you want to temporarily use another site like flickr or imageshack to host an image you can reply to this thread and link to it, and get feedback while it's still in progress.

I still need more help!
KwaDFak has agreed to be our "Logo Guru", a collector of knowledge and giver of feedback. He has created a Guide to help out. If you need further assistance feel free to ask him or anyone else in the thread.

!!Important!! Once your Logo is uploaded here, go to Options in your game office and Sync your accounts. That will enable the game to display your Logo. (As well as other benefits.)

Have fun and we look forward to seeing a bunch of new logos!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:41 am 
Developer

Here are some of the images we've created for SSCs (Simunomics System Companies). Though none would be award-winning we think they show an interesting variety of approaches.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

And here's one I made for my own company:
You'll notice I myself ignored one of the "tips" with the colored background, and could have just used an exclamation point and the company name. But I think that's OK because it represents what I want. You should feel free to make an image that you're happy with, colorful or simple.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:38 pm 
Interviewer

User avatarFoodaganza! Inc.
Brainstormer
Anyone know a good free online logo design website?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:39 pm 

User avatarRakib Corporation
Gold Ring Maker
I love it. Anybody like my avatar? :dance:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:42 pm 

Gold Ring Maker
milkco. wrote:

Try bannerfans.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:48 pm 
Interviewer

Brainstormer
Rakib wrote:
milkco. wrote:

Try bannerfans.

Could you give me their exact URL? I'm having trouble finding the website.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:50 pm 
Interviewer

Brainstormer
Rakib wrote:
I love it. Anybody like my avatar? :dance:

That's good. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:52 pm 

Gold Ring Maker
milkco. wrote:
Rakib wrote:
milkco. wrote:

Try bannerfans.

Could you give me their exact URL? I'm having trouble finding the website.

bannerfans.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:01 pm 
Interviewer

Brainstormer
Oops! Internet Explorer could not find bannerfans.com

that's the message I got.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:09 pm 

Gold Ring Maker
milkco. wrote:
Oops! Internet Explorer could not find bannerfans.com

that's the message I got.

Don't know. Maybe the site is down. Not working for me too. Damn... It was the best site.

Try logomaker.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:10 pm 
Interviewer

Brainstormer
I got mine, though it's not too great, I'll try logo maker.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:12 pm 
Interviewer

Brainstormer
logomaker.com doesn't work for forums.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:15 pm 

Gold Ring Maker
Forget those. Use Power Point / Paint / Illustrator / Corel Draw / Photoshop whatever you have.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:12 pm 
Interviewer

Brainstormer
I'll try, I don't think I have any of those.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:11 pm 
Developer

I looked at a few online logo generators and I don't think they're doing anything special. Nothing worth jumping through their hoops.

Photoshop is powerful, but also expensive and hard to learn. If you want something free that's also powerful, you could download Gimp whcih has a lot of the same functions. But it's also very difficult to learn.

You probably have Microsoft Paint, because everyone with Windows has that. And it's easy. Use that as your canvas, and take ideas to put them in and touch up there. You can take a background from an online source to start. So for example your gradient background is good, start with that. Now you want something interesting for your name, so here's a tip: WordArt.

Do you have Microsoft Word? (Part of the Office.) Most people do for work or school. Well if you open a word document you can Insert what's called WordArt. And it comes with built-in choices for fonts, colors, 3d, shaping, shadow, and all kinds of good stuff. So make a WordArt that you like and then when it's ready select it and Ctrl-C, then paste in Paint.

It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:19 pm (All times are UTC [ DST ])